Boston Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you are facing criminal charges, the attorney you choose is important. You want a Criminal Defense Lawyer with the experience to vigorously defend your rights and the dedication to give your case the time and attention it requires.
The Coughlin Law Group, with offices in Boston, Salem and Barnstable, Massachusetts, represents clients in criminal cases ranging from minor traffic tickets to serious felony charges.
Why Our Massachusetts Criminal Defense Law Firm
When you are facing criminal charges, you need an attorney with experience defending clients in the courtroom. We are experienced trial lawyers who are not afraid to take a case to court when it is necessary to protect our clients’ rights. If you have been charged with a crime, we will act as your advocate and represent your interests at every stage of the criminal process.
- Criminal Defense for OUI/DUI: After an arrest for OUI, DUI, or DWI, your license will be suspended and you could face criminal penalties if you are convicted. Our attorneys can help you with both sides of the process: before the DMV and in the district court. There is a limited amount of time to appeal the suspension of your license before the DMV, so it is important that you reach out to an attorney as soon as possible.
- Violent Crimes Defense: Courts and law enforcement take violent crimes very seriously. Whether you are charged with armed robbery, assault or domestic violence, our attorneys will work to protect your rights throughout the legal process and act as your advocates inside and outside of the courtroom.
- Sex Crimes Defense: An arrest for a sex crime can have a devastating effect on your personal and professional reputation. We handle all types of sex crime cases, including those involving sensitive issues such as child pornography and rape. From the time of your arrest or even during an investigation, our attorneys will work diligently to safeguard your reputation and protect your future.
- Representation in Clerk’s Hearings: Clerk’s hearings, also referred to as “show cause hearings,” are for minor misdemeanor offenses. This includes charges such as larceny, drug possession and traffic violations. If you fail to appear or do not have an attorney, you risk a criminal conviction. If you have received a summons to appear in a Clerk’s hearing in Massachusetts, we can explain the process to you and represent you in the hearing.
- Drug Possession and Distribution Defense: The penalties you face for drug possession or drug distribution charges will depend on a number of factors. The amount of drugs involved, the type of drugs and your criminal record will all have an impact on your case. Whether you were arrested for possession of more than an ounce of marijuana or for distribution of meth, our attorneys can provide you with a straightforward assessment of your case and explain your legal options.
- Federal Crimes Defense: Federal criminal charges are very serious. They are often the result of a long-term investigation by a federal agency such as the FBI or DEA. These types of cases can be complex, and you will need to work with a defense lawyer who has experience handling cases in federal court. Attorney Jon A. Ciraulo has handled several complex, high-profile federal criminal cases, including cases before a federal jury.
- Larceny, Robbery and Burglary Defense: A conviction for any type of larceny or theft crime can have a serious impact on your future. Even with a minor offense for shoplifting, the resulting criminal record can affect your ability to get a job or to get into college. Regardless of whether you were charged with larceny or armed robbery, our attorneys will provide you with a vigorous defense against the charges you face.
- Traffic Violations Defense: With each ticket or traffic violation, points are added to your license. If you receive enough points, you could lose your license. For this reason, it is important to work with an attorney who can help you contest your traffic tickets and violations. Our defense team can help you fight a traffic ticket and protect your driving record.
- Probation Violations: An arrest for violating probation can land you back in jail and extend your sentence. We understand the impact this can have on your life and your future. Our attorneys will vigorously defend you from charges for violating probation at the initial hearing and at the final surrender hearing.
- Appeals and Post-Conviction Relief: Additionally, we handle appeals and other post-conviction remedies that can minimize the impact of a conviction. The type of relief available to you will depend on your specific situation, but it is important to act quickly before you lose your right to appeal. Many types of appeals have a limited time to file. When you work with our firm, we can explain your options and help you develop an appeals strategy.
Experienced Massachusetts Criminal Attorneys Committed to Providing a Strong Defense With Proven Trial Experience
Put our experience to work for you. Attorney Christopher B. Coughlin is a former prosecutor for the Cape and Islands District Attorney’s Office. He understands how prosecutors tend to think, how they analyze cases and what evidence they need to obtain a conviction.
Attorney Jon A. Ciraulo is also a former prosecutor. Since leaving the District Attorney’s office he has worked with one of the most prominent criminal defense lawyer in Massachusetts. In his time at the firm, he worked on several high-profile and complex federal and state criminal cases. He has participated in federal jury trials and dozens of state felony trials.
Each of our Massachusetts criminal defense lawyers is committed to providing the strong defense you require. We prepare meticulously for the possibility of trial in each case. Our thorough trial preparation signals to the prosecution that we are willing and ready to go to trial if necessary to protect our client’s rights. We believe strongly that our reputation for zealous advocacy is a decided advantage to anyone facing criminal charges.
- Administrative Licensing
- Appeals and Post-Conviction
- Assault Crimes and Offenses
- Clerk Magistrate
- Drug Possession
- Federal Crimes
- Gun Possession
- Larceny, Theft and Property
- Probation Violation
- Restraining Order and Harassment Prevention Order
- Sexual Assault
- Traffic and Motor Vehicle Offenses
Contact Our Criminal Defense Firm for a Free Consultation
To schedule a free consultation with one of our Boston criminal defense attorneys, call 617-758-8888 (Boston), 978-403-0003 (Salem) or 508-834-7447 (Barnstable) or contact our criminal law firm by e-mail.